Missing Trekker among three militants killed in Srinagar

‘Restrictions imposed in parts of Srinagar’

Srinagar, June 21, KNT: Scholar who had gone missing while on trekking with his friends in Naranag area of Central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district is one among the three militants killed in Srinagar gunfight today.
Three militants were killed when encounter between militants and government forces erupted after a cordon and search operation was launched in Zadibal and Zoonimar Pozwalpora localities following inputs about their presence in the areas.   
 As the contact was established, authorities suspended mobile internet service across Srinagar city.  
Sources told news agency KNT that militants were offered to surrender, but they refused and continued with the fight. The gunfight resulted in the killing of three militants.
Police sources identified these militants as Shakoor Farooq Langoo of Barthana Qamarwari area of Srinagar, Shahid Ahmed Bhat of Samthan Bijbehara and Hilal Ahmed Dar of Bemina Srinagar.
 The family members of Hilal Ahmed Dar who was a Scholar had protest in Srinagar seeking his whereabouts. He had gone for trekking along with his friend in Naranag Ganderbal where he went missing. His friends were questioned by police after the incident. 
Hilal had refused to accompany his friends to Gangabal and had asked them that he will wait for them at Naranag till they return, however, his friends after their return had found him missing. He had gone missing on June 14. 
Another slain militant Shakoor Farooq according to police sources had joined militancy in 2019. He had gone missing on 15 July last year. Shahid Ahmed had joined militant ranks on 21 February this year. 
Police sources said that one among these three militants were involved in the killing of two BSF personnel in Pandach area of Srinagar outskirts. 
IGP (Kashmir) Vijay Kumar told reporters that the security forces tried their best to persuade the trapped militants to surrender. "Even their parents were brought in to persuade the holed up militants to surrender, but they refused," the IGP said.
This is the second encounter in Srinagar in the just over a month.
In May, government forces had killed two militants of the Hizbul Mujahideen, including the son of a separatist leader, after an hours-long gunbattle on in Nawa Kadal locality of Srinagar. Over 12 residential houses were destroyed in that gunfight.
Authorities, meanwhile, suspended mobile internet services and imposed restrictions in the city to maintain law and order. Restrictions on the movement of people have also been imposed in most parts in downtown areas of the city. (KNT)

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post